Terms of Access and Use
The following are terms of a legal agreement (“Agreement”) between you and Bedford Memorial Hospital (“BMH”). By accessing, browsing and/or otherwise using this website (“Site”), you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed to be bound by these terms and conditions and the terms and conditions of our Privacy Notice (which shall be considered part of these terms of access and use), and to comply with all applicable laws and regulations. If you do not agree to all of these terms and conditions, you may not access, browse and/or use this Site. The material provided on this Site is protected by law.
These terms of access and use apply to your access to and use of this Site and do not alter in any way the terms and conditions of any other agreement you may have with BMH for services or otherwise, unless otherwise directed by BMH. If you breach any of these terms and conditions, your authorization to use this Site automatically terminates and you must immediately destroy any downloaded or printed materials and discontinue use of any hyperlinks to this Site.
All Site materials, including, without limitation, text, pictures, graphics and other files and the selection and arrangement thereof are copyrighted materials of Bedford Memorial Hospital, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, or by the original creator of the material. Permission is granted to display, copy, distribute, and download the materials on this Site for personal, noncommercial use only, provided you do not modify the materials and that you retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained in the materials. You may not, however, distribute, copy, reproduce, display, republish, download, or transmit any material on this Site for commercial use without prior written approval of BMH. You may not “mirror” any material contained on this Site on any other server without prior written permission from BMH. Any unauthorized use of any material contained on this Site may violate copyright laws, trademark laws, the laws of privacy and publicity and communications regulations and statutes.
The trademarks, service marks, trade names, and logos (the “Trademarks”) used and displayed on this Site are registered and unregistered Trademarks of BMH. In addition, all page headers, custom graphics, button icons, and scripts are service marks, trademarks and/or trade dress of BMH, and may not be copied, imitated or used, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of BMH. You acknowledge that the Trademarks used and displayed on this Site are and shall remain the sole property of BMH or the Trademark owner. Nothing in this Agreement shall confer any right of ownership of any of the Trademarks in you. Further, nothing in this Site shall be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel or otherwise any license or right to use any Trademark used or displayed on the Site, without the express written permission of BMH or the Trademark owner. The misuse of the trademarks displayed on this Site, or any other content on the Site, is strictly prohibited.
You are granted a limited, nonexclusive right to create a “hypertext” link to this Site provided that such link is to the entry page of this Site and does not portray BMH or any of its products or services in a false, misleading, derogatory, or otherwise defamatory manner. This limited right may be revoked at any time for any reason whatsoever. You may not use framing techniques to enclose any BMH trademark, logo or trade name or other proprietary information including the images found at the Site, the content of any text or the layout/design of any page or any form contained on a page without BMH’s express written consent. Links to third party sites on this Site are provided solely as convenience to you. If you use these links, you will leave this Site. BMH has not reviewed all of these third party sites and does not control and is not responsible for any of these sites, their content or their policies, including, without limitation, privacy policies or lack thereof. BMH does not endorse or make any representations about third party sites or any information, software or other products or materials found there, or any results that may be obtained from using them. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do so entirely at your own risk. You acknowledge and agree that BMH shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by, or in connection with the use of or reliance on any such third party sites.
Except as otherwise expressly permitted by BMH, any access or attempt to access other areas of the BMH computer system or other information contained on the system for any purposes is strictly prohibited. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, other automatic device, or manual process to “screen scrape,” monitor, “mine,” or copy the Web pages on the Site or the content contained therein without BMH’s prior, express, and written permission. You will not spam or send unsolicited e-mail to any other user of the Site for any reason. You agree that you will not use any device, software or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site. You agree that you will not take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on BMH’s infrastructure.
Additional Use Restrictions
You shall not post, transmit, e-mail, re-transmit or store material on or through any of the services provided by BMH (the “Services”) which, in the sole judgment of BMH: (i) is in violation of any local, state, federal or non-United States law or regulation, (ii) is threatening, obscene, indecent, defamatory or that otherwise could adversely affect any individual, group or entity (collectively, “Persons”) or (iii) violates the rights of any person, including rights protected by copyright, trade secret, patent or other intellectual property or similar laws or regulations including, but not limited to, the installation or distribution of “pirated” or other software products that are not appropriately licensed for use by you. You shall be responsible for determining what laws or regulations are applicable to its use of the Services. In addition, you may only use the Services in a manner that, in BMH’s sole judgment, is consistent with the purposes of such Services. If you are unsure of whether any contemplated use or action is permitted, please contact BMH at firstname.lastname@example.org. By way of example, and not limitation, the following uses described below of the Services are expressly prohibited:
- upload, post, e-mail or otherwise transmit any information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages or other materials (collectively, “Content”) that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable. Pornography and pornographic related merchandising are prohibited under all Services, including providing links to pornographic content elsewhere;
- harm minors in any way;
- impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, a BMH official or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any Content transmitted through the Services or develop restricted or password-only access pages, or hidden pages or images (those not linked to from another accessible page);
- upload, post, e-mail or otherwise transmit any Content that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
- upload, post, e-mail or otherwise transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party;
- upload, post, e-mail or otherwise transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, “junk mail,” “spam,” “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes,” or any other form of solicitation, except in those areas of the Services that are designated for such purpose;
- upload, post, e-mail or otherwise transmit any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- interfere with or disrupt the Services or servers or networks connected to the Services, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Services;
- intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law;
- “stalk” or otherwise harass another;
- promote or provide instructional information about illegal activities, or promote physical harm or injury against any group or individual; and
- effecting security breaches or disruptions of Internet communication. Security breaches include, but are not limited to, accessing data of which you are not an intended recipient or logging into a server or account that you are not expressly authorized to access.
This Site, including all functions, materials, and information, is provided “as is” without warranties of any kind, either express or implied. BMH disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, warranties of quiet enjoyment and non-infringement and implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, title, quiet enjoyment, information accuracy and informational content. BMH does not warrant or make any representations regarding the operation of this Site, the use, validity, accuracy or reliability of, or the results of the use of the materials on this Site or any other sites linked to this Site. The materials of this Site may be out of date, and BMH makes no commitment to update the materials at this Site. BMH does not and cannot guarantee or warrant that the materials available for downloading from this Site, if any, will be free from infection, viruses, worms, Trojan horses, or other code that manifest contaminating or destructive properties. BMH does not warrant that this Site, software, materials, products, or services will be uninterrupted or error-free or that any defects in this Site, software, materials, products, or services will be corrected.
Limitation of Liability
In no event will BMH, its suppliers or other third parties mentioned at or in this Site be liable for any damages, including, without limitation direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages, damages resulting from injury, lost profits, lost data or business interruption arising out of relating to the use, inability to use, or resulting from the use of this Site, any websites linked to this Site, the materials, software or other information contained in any or all such sites, whether based on warranty, contracts, statutes, regulations, tort (including but not limited to, negligence) or any other legal theory and whether or not advised of the possibility of such damages. If your use of the materials or information from this Site results in the need for servicing, repair or correction of equipment or data, you assume all costs thereof. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
U.S. Government Restricted Rights
The materials on this Site are provided with “RESTRICTED RIGHTS.” Use, duplication, or disclosure by the government is subject to restrictions as set forth in applicable laws and regulations. Use of the materials by the government constitutes acknowledgment of BMH’s or other owner’s proprietary rights in them.
Revisions to This Agreement
BMH may revise this Agreement at any time without notice by updating this posting. By using this Site you agree to be bound by any such revisions and should therefore periodically visit this Site and page to determine the then current terms and conditions of use to which you are bound.
Any material, information or idea you transmit to or post on this Site by any means will be treated as non-confidential and non-proprietary and may be disseminated or used by BMH or its affiliates for any purpose whatsoever, including, but not limited to, developing, manufacturing and marketing products.
Applicable Laws & Miscellaneous
If any provision(s) of this Agreement is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be contrary to law, then such provision(s) shall be construed, as nearly as possible, to reflect the intentions of the parties with the other provisions remaining in full force and effect. BMH’s failure to exercise or enforce any right or provision of this Agreement shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision unless acknowledged and agreed to by BMH in writing. The section titles in this Agreement are solely used for the convenience of the parties and have no legal or contractual significance. This Agreement may be assigned in whole or in part by BMH. This Agreement may not be assigned in any manner by you without the express, prior written permission of BMH. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia notwithstanding any conflict of laws provisions. You irrevocably and unconditionally (i) consent to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal in the County of Roanoke, Commonwealth of Virginia (the “Virginia Courts”) for any litigation or dispute arising out of or relating to this Agreement, (ii) agree not to commence any litigation arising out of or relating to this Agreement except in the Virginia Courts, (iii) agree not to plead or claim that such litigation brought therein has been brought in an inconvenient forum, and (iv) agree the Virginia Courts represent the exclusive jurisdiction for all disputes relating to this Agreement.
Medical Information Disclaimer
This website (“Site”) is not designed to, and does not, provide medical advice. All content, including, without limitation, text, pictures, graphics and other files available on or through this Site are for general informational purposes only. This Site is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Do not disregard professional medical advice, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Site. Do not rely on information on this Site in place of seeking professional medical advice. You are encouraged to confer with your doctor with regard to information contained on or through this Site.
IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY, CALL YOUR DOCTOR OR 911 IMMEDIATELY. Do not use this Site for medical emergencies.
Bedford Memorial Hospital does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, products, procedures, opinions, physicians, clinics or other information that may be mentioned or referenced on this Site.
Carilion Clinic Notice of Privacy Practices
This notice describes how information about you may be used and disclosed and how you can get access to this information. Please review carefully.
Each time you visit a hospital, physician or other health care provider, a record of your visit is made. These records contain personal information and medical information and are used for your direct care and treatment. It’s also used to produce an accurate bill for the services you receive, helps improve the care we give and strengthens the operations of our organization.
Your Health Information Rights
Although your medical record is the physical property of Carilion Clinic, the information in it belongs to you. You have the following rights with respect to your health information:
- You can inspect and get a copy of your health information that may be used to make decisions about your care, subject to a few limited exceptions. You may request copies of your health information, in writing, from medical records personnel at the Carilion Clinic facility providing your treatment. We may charge a fee for the costs of copying, mailing or other supplies associated with your request.
- If you feel the health information is incorrect or incomplete, you may ask us to amend the information. You have the right to request an amendment for as long as the information is kept by, or for, our organization. Your request must be made in writing and include the reason for your request. We may deny your request if you ask us to amend information that was not created by us. We may also deny your request to amend information if we believe the information to be accurate and complete.
- You may request a restriction or limitation on the health information we use or disclose about you for treatment, payment or our operations. You also have the right to request a limit on the medical information we disclose about you to someone who is involved in your care or the payment for your care, such as a family member or friend. We are not required to agree to your request. In your request, you must tell us:
- What information you want to limit.
- Whether you want to limit our use, disclosure or both.
- Who you want to receive your medical information.
- You can request an accounting of your health information disclosures, except for those needed to carry out treatment, payment or our operations. Other exceptions include, but are not limited to:
- Use in facility directories.
- For national security and intelligence.
- Use by law enforcement officials or correctional institutions.
- Your request must state a time period that may not be longer than six years and may not include dates before April 14, 2003. The first list you request within a 12-month period will be free.
- You can request communications of your health information by alternative means, at alternative locations or in a confidential manner. For example, you can ask that we contact you only at work or by mail. We will accommodate all reasonable requests.
- You can revoke your authorization to use or disclose health information, unless disclosure has already occurred. You can request a paper copy of this notice even if you have agreed to receive the notice electronically. An online copy of this notice is available at www.CarilionClinic.org.
This Notice of Privacy Practices Covers:
- Carilion Clinic-owned hospitals, clinics and pharmacies.
- Departments and units within our organization.
- Any physician, provider, staff or consultant who treats you at any of our locations.
- Carilion Clinic Community Based Services: Home Health Services, Private Duty, Hospice and DME.
Carilion Clinic is required by law and is committed to:
- Maintain the privacy of your health information.
- Provide you with this notice of our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to health information we collect and maintain about you.
- Abide by the terms of this notice.
- Notify you if we are unable to agree to a requested restriction and, in most cases, allow you to request a review of our decision.
We reserve the right to change our privacy practices and to make the new provisions effective for all protected health information we maintain. Should our information practices change, we will amend this notice and post a copy of the revised notice on our website at www.CarilionClinic.org. The notice will contain on the first page, the effective date. In addition, the first time you register at or are admitted to a facility for treatment or health care services as an inpatient or outpatient, we will offer you a copy of the current notice in effect.
For More Information or to Report a Problem
If you have questions and would like additional information, you may contact Judie Snipes, Carilion Clinics’s privacy officer, at 540-981-7000. If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you can file a complaint with Carilion Clinic’s information privacy officer, Carilion Clinic’s Compliance Department or with the Secretary of Health and Human Services. There will be no retaliation for filing a complaint.
Permitted Uses and Disclosures Which do not Require Your Written Consent or Authorization
- We will use your health information for treatment, which means the provision, coordination or management of the health care services we provide. For example, a doctor treating you for a broken leg may need to know if you have diabetes because diabetes may slow the healing process. Different departments of this facility may share medical information about you in order to coordinate the different things you need, such as prescriptions, lab work and X-rays. We will also provide your physician with copies of reports that may assist in treating you once you are discharged from this facility.
- We will use your health information for payment, an activity necessary for us to receive reimbursement for the services we provide to you. For example: a bill may be sent to you, an insurance company or other payer. The information on, or accompanying, the bill may include information that identifies you as well as your diagnosis, procedures and supplies used.
- We will use your health information for regular health care operations, such as quality assessments, evaluating practitioner performance, cost management and general administrative activities. For example: members of the medical staff, the risk or quality improvement manager, or members of the quality improvement team may use information in your health record to assess the care and outcomes in your case and others like it. This information will then be used in an effort to continually improve the quality and effectiveness of the health care and services we provide, and provide training to our staff and medical students.
- Some services are provided in our organization through contracts with business associates. We may disclose your health information to our business associates so they can perform the job we’ve asked them to do. Our contracts require business associates to appropriately protect the privacy and security of your health information.
- Unless you notify us that you object, we will use your name, location in the facility, general condition and religious affiliation for directory purposes. This information may be provided to members of the clergy and, except for religious affiliation, to other people who ask for you by name.
- We may disclose health information relevant to your care or payment for your care to a family member, other relatives, a close personal friend or any other person you identify. During the initial visit, we may ask you to identify those who you would like to receive information about you.
- We may use or disclose health information to notify or assist in notifying a family member, personal representative, or another person responsible for your care about your location and general condition.
- We may use and disclose medical information to contact you as a reminder that you have an appointment for treatment or medical care at the facility. In leaving a message on an answering machine, we will only leave our name, and the appointment’s time and date.
- We may use sign-in sheets in certain locations to check you into the facility. We also may call your name in the waiting area. If you do not wish to sign the sign-in sheet or have your name called, please tell the receptionist and we will make adjustments to meet your request.
- We may contact you to provide information about treatment alternatives or other health related benefits and services that may be of interest to you.
- We may contact you as part of our fund-raising effort. You are not required to participate.
- We may also disclose health information as permitted or required by law, such as in the following circumstances:
- to the extent required by workers compensation or other similar programs.
- to a health oversight agency for audits, investigations and inspections.
- to public health or legal authorities charged with maintaining health records and preventing or controlling disease, injury or disability.
- to the FDA relative to adverse events with respect to food, supplements, products and product defects, or post-marketing surveillance information to enable product recalls, repairs or replacement.
- to researchers when their research has been approved by an institutional review board that has reviewed the research proposal and established protocols to ensure the privacy of your health information.
- to research, public health and health care operations in a limited, non-identifiable, data set.
- to organ procurement organizations or other entities engaged in the procurement, banking or transplantation of organs for the purpose of tissue donation and transplant. Organs will only be procured with written authorization.
- to a coroner or medical examiner and to funeral directors as necessary to carry out their duties.
- to a law enforcement official or in response to a court order, subpoena, warrant, summons or similar process.
- to authorized federal officials for intelligence, counterintelligence and other national security activities.
- if you are a member of the armed forces, as required by military command authorities.
- to authorized federal officials so they may provide protection to the President, other authorized persons or foreign heads of state or conduct investigations.
- If you are an inmate of a correctional institution, to the institution or agents for your health and the health and safety of other individuals.
- Group Health Plan may disclose protected health information to a plan sponsor.
Other uses and disclosures of medical information not covered by this notice, required for emergency treatment or permitted by the laws that apply to us will be made only with your written authorization. If you authorize disclosure, you may revoke that, in writing, at any time. If you revoke your authorization, we will not use or disclose your medical information for the reasons covered by your prior written authorization. Please understand we are unable to take back disclosures we already made with your prior authorization, and that we are required to retain our records of the care that we provide to you.